Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chris Weitz Defends Piracy Woman

chrisA Chicago woman facing prison time for taping three minutes of New Moon has a new ally in her legal battles.

Director of the film Chris Weitz says that he is dismayed about Samantha Tumpach's arrest on November 28 at Rosemount movie theatre on a felony charge of of illegally copying his hit new film, and he's contacted the film's studio to voice his concerns.

"Needless to say, the case seems to me to be terribly unfair and I would like to do what I can to address this" Weitz wrote in an email.

Tumpach who spent two days in jail awaiting a bond hearing after her arrest, acknowledged that there were a couple of parts where the video had captured the film though she has contended that she wasn't trying to record the movie, she was trying to record her sisters surprise 29th birthday party which was being held in the same theatre.

"I never intended to record the movie, you can hear my voice talking the whole time" she said. Weitz has questioned whether her arrest is justified.

"There is needless to say, a difference between trying to protect the copyright of a film and making an unfair example of someone who clearly seems not to have any intentions towards video piracy" he wrote. "I'm not sure what effect I would have on the case" he wrote noting "the film is not after all my property"

Tumach whose court date is set for December 17 said "We were just messing around, everyone is surprised that it has gone this far".

{via Chicagosun}

No comments:

Post a Comment